Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Why is Everything a Fucking Competition?

If you have pain--your friend, professor, uncle, whoever will attempt to tell you how much more pain they have.

If you're good at a subject--a classmate, friend, professor, etc. will find a way to communicate the message that they're better.

If you try to do a good deed for someone--they will find a way to show you that no good deed goes unpunished.

(This list could potentially go on forever, but I will assume that my dear reader has gotten the idea.)

Why is everything a fucking competition?

Why can't we simply be happy for one another, compassionate towards each other, and grateful for what we have? It's really so simple!

One-ups-manship doesn't help anyone, and it hurts everyone.

Try it for a day. Go out of your way to say "Thank you" to someone who's done something nice for you--it needn't be extravagant, a phone call with your voice connecting with their voice (not a damn machine) saying "Thank you". When someone tells you that they're leg is broken, don't let your first response be: "Oh, I remember when MY leg was broken..." Pull your head out of your ass and allow yourself and them to focus the moment on them. Maybe later you can commiserate with them about broken bones, but let them have their moment. Third, be grateful for what you do have: no matter what it is, find a way to be grateful for it.

I do pretty well with thanking others, and I try to focus my responses on the compassionate, it's the gratitude for things that sometimes gets me. When my electric bill is sky high (a topic for another post), I try to be grateful for electricity in my home and for having it available. Doesn't always happen before I get pissy and run around the house unplugging appliances, but the key here is PROGRESS, NOT PERFECTION.

Just my .02 for the day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home